Welcome to the Ecumenical Youth Services
The Ecumenical Youth Services (EYS) is an international volunteer program based in Germany. EYS was founded in the 1950s in the former German Democratic Republic (GDR). EYS is administered by the Amt für kirchliche Dienste of the Berlin-Brandenburg-schlesische Oberlausitz Protestant Church (EKBO) – Office for Evangelical Children and Youth Work.
EYS work camps provide an opportunity for young people aged 18 to 26 (in exceptional cases from 17 years of age) from all over Europe to meet and work together for two weeks on meaningful and socially relevant projects in an international context.
In 2016 18 young volunteer camp leaders welcomed 88 participants from 13 countries (Afghanistan, Belarus, Czech Republic, Germany, Hungary, Latvia, Poland, Romania, Serbia, Slovakia, Spain, Syria, Ukraine) in 6 EYS work camps. Overview Participants of the Work Camp season 2016
Our guiding principle is United we work in an effort to:
- volunteer in meaningful projects
- participate in an ecumenical, international group and to gain independence and personal responsibility
- live together in an atmosphere of equality between young men and women
- partake in a dialog with young people from different countries and cultures, and to increase understanding and respect for one other
- participate in decision-making processes and experience solidarity
- make friends with whom to talk about God and life in general
What happens during the Camp?
- During the Camp you live, work and spend leisure time for two weeks within a group of 20 young people
- A Work Camp gives young people an opportunity to meet other young people from other countries, cultures and ways of faith
- Daily life in the Camps provides an atmosphere which encourages understanding and acceptance of cultural differences
- The Camps are accompanied by 2-3 young volunteer camp leaders
- The Camps have a special theme which provides a framework for us to contemplate and discuss our feelings about life and God
- “Work” means doing volunteer service for 9 days, 6 hours a day on ecological, social or community projects. Apart from working-teams (on the cemetery, in the garden, …) a cooking and housekeeping team will do the grocery-shopping, cooking and daily housekeeping (including keeping the accommodation neat and clean!). Everyone will be part of the cooking and housekeeping team at least twice.
- For the camp to be a good and memorable time for all volunteers, it’s important show regard for one another, to actively participate in group activities and to contribute one’s own ideas, for example towards leisure activities. It is important that participants should attend their camp from the beginning to the end.
- Following an EYS YouTube -Video Workcamps – A Practical Guide Vol. 1 and Workcamps – A Practical Guide Vol. 2
We thank our Sponsors, donors and last year’s camp partners for their generous support. Thanks to their support, we can offer a camp participation fee of 20 Euros!