Camp from July 16th – 30th, 2022
Thurgauer Str. 66
Haus der Jugend Fuchsbau
Place of work
Old Institutional Cemetery
Oranienburger Str. 285
Deadline for application: July 11th, 2022
Old Institutional Cemetery – A Place of Remembrance Emerges
Since 2014, the “Friends of the Old Institutional Cemetery Memorial” of the former Wittenau sanatoriums has been working to make the cemetery and its history known in the Reinickendorf district and in the city of Berlin. The aim is to establish a dignified memorial for the victims of Nazi regime from 1933 to 1945 who still rest here. Now the time has finally come. The first work for a memorial site will take place on the grounds of the Old Institutional Cemetery as part of an ÖJD work camp in the summer of 2022.
The focus of the work will be to clear the area of the Old Institutional Cemetery of undergrowth. In addition, landscaping work is planned, such as weeding tree seedlings and clearing the cemetery wall and old paths. This work will make the overgrown row graves recognisable again and the path system of the cemetery usable again. The work is done 6 hours a day, e.g. 8.30 am – 2.30 pm. There is a snack break in between! As the camp accommodation is not at the cemetery but at the Haus der Jugend / Fuchsbau, we will cycle to work (about 10 minutes one way!). Everyone who wants to take part in the camp must be able to ride a bike!
In the free time spent together, it is easy to get to the centre of Berlin with all its sights on foot, by bike or by public transport. The surrounding area of Berlin and Potsdam are also not far away! In good weather, there are opportunities for swimming and boating. In addition to the excursions, we plan group activities that depend on your interests and that you help to shape, e.g. through games, songs, music, dances, workshops, themes, photos that you bring along.
Task at a glance
- Work task:
- Preservation of historical monuments: cut open old cemetery wall, uncover pathways
- Landscape conservation: Remove brushwood that has been left lying around / weed tree seedlings
- Housekeeping: Grocery shopping, cooking, cleaning, tiding up
- Group size: 10 participants (without volunteer team leaders)
- Camp language: German/English
- Accommodation: Haus der Jugend Fuchsbau, Thurgauer Str. 66, 13407 Berlin
- Attention!: We will use bicycles daily!
The teamers are
More information in May!
Journey – How to travel to Berlin-Reinickendorf
- By train
- to Berlin
- from the central train station or from a regional train stations you go by public transport system to Berlin-Reinickendorf (more information in the camp letter)
- By aircraft
- to Berlin (BER)
- from the airport you go by public transport system to Berlin-Reinickendorf (more information upon request)
- By bus
- to Berlin central bus station
- from the central bus station you go by public transport system to Berlin-Reinickendorf (more information in the camp letter)
- By lift agency
- to Berlin
- further on you go by public transport system to Berlin-Reinickendorf (more information upon request)
More information to the Public Transport System
Further Information to organize your travel by aircraft, train, bus or lift agency