Workcamp from July 31st – August 14th, 2021
Katholische Gemeinde St. Joseph
Place of work
Katholische Kirche St. Konrad
An der Kirche
Katholische Kirche St. Konrad
Application deadline: July 28th, 2021
Ökokirche Deutzen – Nature, Culture, Community
We, the Ökokirche Deutzen, are a group of Protestant and Catholic Christians from the region who are working on the vision of establishing a meeting and environmental center in and around the church of St. Konrad in Deutzen. We warmly invite you to a work camp in the Leipziger Neuseenland. In Deutzen, a place is to be created where, following Pope Francis’ encyclical “Laudato Si”, the integrity of creation is put into practice, people learn together and search for solutions to the environmental and climate crisis.
Deutzen, not far from the town Borna, is characterized by the fading open-cast lignite mining and past lignite processing industry. Lignite workers from Bavaria built the church of St. Konrad in the 1950s. In the meantime, it is rarely used for church services.
The church and the surrounding area are idyllically situated and invite you to reflect, find peace and meditate, but also to experience community, e.g. around the campfire. The overnight stay during the camp is planned in the catholic parish hall in Borna. This is about 5 km away and easy to reach by bike. So we will be on the road a lot by bike! If it is possible for you to bring your own bike, please do so!
The “Ökokirche Deutzen” as a meeting and environmental center is slowly growing and there is still a lot to do. Cleanup and renovation work on the building, as well as redesign measures in the area to a natural garden, want to be implemented. How far the planning and preparation work will have come by July is difficult to estimate at the moment. If we need your help with digging, painting or planting, we can discuss shortly before the start of the work camp, depending on the status of the work and your inclinations.
There is also the idea to involve the local population. A small cultural project with the after-school care center of the local elementary school, as well as the culture park Deutzen is conceivable. Work is carried out 6 hours a day, e.g. 8am – 2pm. In between, there is a snack break!
In the spare time there is the possibility to visit the city center of Leipzig with a multiplicity of art, culture offers, as well as the local recreation area. All places can be reached in less than 30 minutes by suburban train, as well as the city of Altenburg.
In the immediate surroundings of Deutzen there are exciting nature conservation projects such as a wild horse enclosure and the Haselbacher Teiche nature reserve. In Regis-Breitingen, about 3.5 km away, there is an outdoor swimming pool. The Haselbacher See, one of the most popular bathing lakes in the region, is about 5 km away.
The nearby views into a still active open pit mine, as well as excursions into the surrounding reforested mining areas could also be on the program if wanted. In addition to the excursions, we plan group activities depending on your interests and ideas, e.g. through games brought by you, songs, music, dances, workshops, themes, photos.
At a glance
- Work Task:
- Remodeling work on the site: landscape maintenance, construction of a natural garden.
- Clean-up work: In and around the church
- Painting and renovation work: On buildings
- Cultural project with the elementary school, the cultural park Deutzen
- Housekeeping: grocery shopping, cooking, cleaning, tidying up
- Attention!: To work every day 5km must be driven by bike (one way!).
- Group size: 10 participants (without volunteer teamers)
- Camp language: German/English
- Accommodation: Catholic parish hall in Borna
- Attention!: If possible bring your own bike!
The teamers are
Journey – How to get to Deutzen
- By train
- to Leipzig main station
- from Leipzig Hbf. there is a regular S-Bahn to Borna
- From the station in Borna it is an 8 min. walk to the accommodation
- By plane
- to Leipzig airport
- From the airport there is a S-Bahn train via Leipzig main station to Borna
- From the train station in Borna it is 8 min. walk to the accommodation
- By bus
- to Leipzig long-distance bus terminal (at Leipzig main station)
- From the long-distance bus terminal, which is located next to Leipzig main station, take the S-Bahn to Borna
- From the train station in Borna it is an 8 min. walk to the accommodation
- With a carpool
- to Leipzig
- by public transport to Leipzig main station
- from Leipzig main station there is a regular S-Bahn to Borna
- From the station in Borna it is 8 min. walk to the accommodation
Information about means of transport
More information to the Public Transport System
Further Information to organize your travel by aircraft, train, bus or lift agency