Camp from July 17th – 31st, 2021
Protestant Parish Luisengemeinde
Place of work: Luisen-Cemetery 3 Fürstenbrunner Weg 37-67, 14059 Berlin.
Deadline for application: July 12th, 2021
Cemetery – Culture
The Protestant Cemetery “Luisenkirchhöfe” in Berlin in the district of Charlottenburg are the oldest cemeteries in the district with great beauty.
During the workcamp, beautiful gravestones and sculptures will be uncovered and cleaned. If necessary, the restoration of an old cemetery wall is also on the agenda. In addition to the monument preservation work, landscape conservation (weeding, pruning plants) and planting work will be carried out. We will be working 6 hours per day, for example 8.30 a.m. to 2.30 p.m. Of course there will be breaks in between. We have our accommodation in the parish-center and not at the cemetery. On account of this, we will go by bike to work (about 10 minutes one way) Everyone who wants to participate in this camp has to be a very good bicycle rider!
In our shared free time we will visit by foot and bike or by public transport system the city center, the nearby park of castle Charlottenburg or many other sights of interest like Potsdam. The forest Grunewald also isn’t far away and there are possibilities to swim. We will not only do excursions, but also do group activities depending on your interests and your ideas. We are happy if you bring with games, songs, music, dances, topics and photos.
Task at a glance
- Work task:
- Cultural heritage preservation: Renovation of the old grave yard wall, cleaning tombs and sculptures, derusting and repainting old fences, reconstructing historical ceiling painting
- Landscape work: cutting and weeding plants, planting plants and trees
- Housekeeping: Grocery shopping, cooking, cleaning, tiding up
- Group size: 10 participants (without volunteer team leaders)
- Camp language: German/English
- Accommodation: Parish Center with the following address: Gierkeplatz 2-4, 10585 Berlin
- Attention!: Please bring along sleeping bag and camping mat/air mattress!
- Attention!: We will use bicycles daily!
The teamers are
Aliz (HU) and team
Journey – How to travel to Berlin-Charlottenburg
- By train
- to Berlin
- from the central train station or from a regional train stations you go by public transport system to Berlin-Charlottenburg (more information in the camp letter)
- By aircraft
- to Berlin (airport Schönefeld or airport Tegel)
- from the airport you go by public transport system to Berlin-Charlottenburg (more information upon request)
- By bus
- to Berlin central bus station
- from the central bus station you go by public transport system to Berlin-Charlottenburg (more information in the camp letter)
- By lift agency
- to Berlin
- further on you go by public transport system to Berlin-Charlottenburg (more information upon request)
More information to the Public Transport System
Further Information to organize your travel by aircraft, train, bus or lift agency